-Marriott International’s Journey Week –
Phuket, Thailand – 27 April 2019: JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa in collaboration with 7 Marriott hotels & resorts hosted “The 3rd Marriott Junior Chefs Cooking Battle 2019” for their interns and talented chefs to showcase its culinary skill at the cook-off event as part of the Marriott International’s Journey Week, the initiative event held on 26 April, at Marriott Café.
The 24 representative culinary talents from JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa, Marriott Resort Phuket Merlin Beach; Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Nai Yang Beach; Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, The Naka Island Resort & Spa Phuket, Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa; The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa and Phulay Bay A Ritz-Carlton Reserve who battled its grand final out at the culinary challenge.
The official opening ceremony led by the guest of honour, Mr. Prakob Wongmaneerung, Phuket Vice Governor who took priority to attend the culinary challenge in order to encourage and support the young chefs to showcase their kitchen skills at their best.
Every dynamic chef was in action at chef’s cooking stations with fully equipped, ingredients, herbs, spices all sources for their efforts in the kitchen. The secret and main ingredients were set with a core focus on locally sources and sustainability which were Prawns from Sarasin bridge, Phuket; Klong Phai Farm’s free range chicken, Mango, Banana and Chocolate.
It was a fun-filled culinary challenge that the young culinarians had an hour to create 3 dishes, brainstormed, prepared, cooked and presented to the judges for sampling their creative dishes afterwards.
The judges were Khun Jomsurang Chalermkawun, Tourism Authority of Thailand, Phuket office; Marriott International’s General Managers and invited hotel guests who got the opportunity to observe and taste all of the food at the cook-off and praised those finalists for their work creativity, inspiration and story-behind the dishes.
The Winner was Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa Team. The 1st Runner Up went to JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa and the 2nd Runner Up was Phulay Bay A Ritz-Carlton Reserve.
The grand prize is 3 days 2 nights’ accommodation vouchers and cash THB 3,000 plus dining vouchers. Cash, dining vouchers and trophies also awarded to the 2nd and 3rd place, all contestants received the certificate and hotel vouchers as the recognition and appreciation.
From right to left:
• Dietmar Spitzer, Executive Chef, JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
• Matthias Y. Sutter, General Manager, JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
• Mr. Gerd Kotlorz, General Manager, Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Nai Yang Beach
• Jormsurang Chalermkawun, The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket Office
• Prakob Wongmaneerung, Phuket Vice Governor
• Kunthari Sangchat, General Manager, The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa
• Julian Lowry, General Manager, Le Méridien Phuket Beach Resort
• Suphalak Jampasri, Director of Rooms, The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & spa, Phuket • Sander Looijen, General Manager, Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
• Nathan Chilcott, Executive Chef, Phulay Bay A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
• Mr. Prakob Wongmaneerung (2nd from left), Phuket Vice Governor together with Mr. Matthias Y. Sutter (1st from left), General Manager, JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa observed and cheered the contestants up during the cooking competition
• The 1st place winning team from the Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa; menu created by Junior Chefs Mr. Apisit Barem, Miss Thanika Jitvimats and Mr. Phairoj Disanthia. The 2nd place winning team from JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa; prepared by Mr. Prayut Srisomya, Mr. Wasin Seedokrak and Mr. Parinya Sriprasit. The 3rd place winning team from Phulay Bay A Ritz-Carlton Reserve; proudly presented by Mr. Touch Rattanapetch, Mr. Chutipon Temwudthikul and Mr. Thanapat Naivijarn